Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Faith vs. Fear

Have you ever stopped to think about how self serving fear is? Our fears are firmly rooted in ourselves and our well being. Yes, there is a healthy fear. This is the fear that keeps us from burning ourselves on a hot pot or walking out into traffic or keeping our kids from running with scissors. Fear can create healthy boundaries for us in our lives.

However, when you give your fear power, you have in essence taken your eyes off of God and focused them on yourself. Thus creating a lack of faith in God's ability to take care of you and your circumstances.

I just started a new Bible study based on Max Lucado's book: Fearless. I decided to do the study though I didn't really think I feared very much.

I was stretched (in the first chapter) to think about my control issues. Control is a reaction to fear. So what am I fearful of and how can I surrender those fears to God so that I no longer have the "need to be in control"?

I am still processing this quite honestly. I am not sure if I will figure it all out in this lifetime. I know that I have some valid reasons that have caused me to be controlling and fearful, but I also know that I serve and love a God who wants me to walk in complete surrender to Him. That full surrender requires me to let go of the past, the hurts, the fears and trust in Him. It requires faith. And He has proved His faithfulness to me time and time again. So the question is: Why can't I or why don't I give up my fears?

When I find myself slipping into "control mode" I am looking to see what fear is present in my life at the time. I am beginning to ask the Lord to "increase my faith." And to remind me that "perfect love casts out fear."

No comments: