Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Perfection...

we expect it,

no-we demand it-of ourselves and others...

we are outraged when we/they don't achieve it.

Is it just me or is anyone else amazed by some of the news stories lately?

I find it amazing that people are shocked by Tiger and his indiscretions. I am in no way justifying his behaviors, but come on, did we really think he was perfect? I will admit that some of the stories surrounding him right now do shock me, but just because he was amazing on a golf course doesn't mean he wasn't a flawed person.

And then today, I saw an article about the men's silver medalist in ice skating. He and his publicists decided that his performance earned him a platinum medal, not a silver. Seriously!???? Have we come to expect perfection (from ourselves and others-like skating judges) to such an extent that we believe we are entitled to it and we no longer have to earn our successes? Or at the very least accept that flaws are a part of this world we live in?

I strive for perfection in areas of my life and unfortunately they are often times areas where my standard is based upon this world's view of perfection and not God's. For example, I often struggle with my looks. I know I am not ugly; but my body isn't toned enough, my skin isn't flawless, I don't like my hair, etc... The Truth is this: The King is enthralled with my beauty. (Psalm 45:11)

We live in a broken and fallen world. We are all sinners. The Truth is this: For God so loved the world (YOU) that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

What are you striving for? Is it the world's version of perfection or are you striving to be like Christ-which usually looks very different than the world?

In your lives you must think and act like Christ Jesus. Christ himself was like God in everything. But he did not think that being equal with God was something to be used for his own benefit. But he gave up his place with God and made himself nothing. He was born as a man and became like a servant. And when he was living as a man, he humbled himself and was fully obedient to God, even when that caused his death—death on a cross. So God raised him to the highest place. God made his name greater than every other name so that every knee will bow to the name of Jesus— everyone in heaven, on earth, and under the earth. And everyone will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord and bring glory to God the Father. (Philippians 2:5-11)

Are you listening to the world as you strive for perfection and success or are you listening to the Truth?

No comments: