Thursday, February 17, 2011

Falling Behind

Well, it is hard to believe that it is Thursday afternoon. It seems to have arrived so quickly and yet it has seemed like a very long week. I have been fighting a headache and sinus cold for about a week and a half. I am still winning but I am not sure for how long. There are a number of crazy illnesses floating around here. I am thankful that so far we seem to be making it through on the healthy side.

The weather has been amazing the past two days. Today it was in the mid to upper 50's and tomorrow is supposed to be close to 70. And the sunshine has been heavenly. (I am not thinking about the weather past tomorrow at this point. I am well aware of the fact that it is NOT spring no matter how it feels today.) It is amazing how warmth and sunshine can affect one's emotional well being. I love it!

As I have personally had a long week there have been moments of great joy. I love that my children can make me laugh about as easily as they can drive me crazy. Those moments of laughter are priceless. I am blessed. And one of the motivating factors to get through this week is that tomorrow night is date night with the most amazing man in my life (I would say the world, but I know there are those of you who would say otherwise). I am so grateful for a man who plans an evening for just us (and even organizes childcare).

This week has also brought moments of personal pain. Some of which I can't share at this moment and others like: when I was placed in a situation where I was shocked and appalled by the behavior of someone who is supposed to love kids and their parents and yet the parents were treated so rudely because he didn't participate in a craft and the reality is that their son has some limitations. I now have to confront that person. Can't we all just play nicely and treat each other like Jesus would want us to?! Is that really too much to ask?! And then there was the confrontation with my son about school. How many times have we had the same conversation? And since we have had it more than once, more than twice, more than three times (you get the point), I feel like a failure. Then there was the conversation in which one of my son's told me about a situation which was for all intents and purposes--bullying. I wanted to go lay the smack down on the kids involved and the teacher (albeit a substitute) for allowing this. I also wanted to figure out a way to empower my son to stand up for himself and not back down (easier said than done for a preteen).

But then I lay at the feet of Jesus, feeling beat up and defeated. He picks me up and reminds me that I am His child. He reminds me that "in this world there will be trouble, but He has overcome." He reminds me that His commandment to me is to "Love my neighbor" not "make your neighbors love each other." He also reminds me that I am not a failure when I am leaning on Him for strength. He has told me to "train my child" and we all know that training is never easy. It requires sweat, tears, and sacrifice. But there is a reward. He also reminds me that His language to bullies and enemies is love and is carried out through prayer for them.

While at times over the past few weeks I feel that I am falling behind or just plain falling down (the Annual Easter Egg Hunt is less than 2 months away) I know that God never does. He is always preparing the way for me. He knows my next step. He knows the next obstacle. He is never caught off guard. I love how trustworthy and faithful He is in each and every life and situation. I can rely on Him to be there when I stumble, and when I fall face down. I am finding that face down is really a good place to be, when it is at the foot the the cross.

No comments: