Thursday, May 28, 2009

Today I am Thankful for...

...Mrs. Bollman, Mrs. Beehler, and Mrs. Martin. My sons teachers. As the school year draws to a close I am grateful to these women for the mark they have made on my children's lives. Stephen is more than prepared for Kindergarten. Jackson has made so much progress in reading and math. Alex has once again made it onto the Honor Roll (this meant raising a grade which takes a lot of effort). All of these accomplishments have been achieved because of the teachers that have taught, encouraged, disciplined and walked with my boys through this past school year.

...my little brother. He has persevered through medical school and will graduate this weekend. (Number 3 in his class-guess who got the brains in the family?!) I love that he knew what he wanted to do for years and kept pursuing that dream. He will now move on to do his residency which will be another commitment of many years. The commitment, time and dedication that he has displayed is something I respect and love about him. I am so thankful that he is my brother. (Plus all the free medical advise is a great perk.) Congratulations Ben! I love you!

...my grandmother. She had a bad episode earlier this week and we are wondering if her time here on earth is finally coming to an end. My grandmother has Alzheimer's and she has had it for over 11 years. She has been in some type of specialized care for about that long. My grandmother is one of the people I most look up to in my life; even now in her present state. I will never forget the times I spent with her. She was a great cook and I loved her cookies. I loved to sit on the stool and watch her (and occasionally help) prepare dinner. I can also remember sitting and listening to the local Christian radio station with her. I remember her preparing and teaching Sunday School lessons. Her love for me and my siblings was so tangible and real. We never doubted her love for us. I only wish that I would have had time with her as I have gotten older. The chance to talk to her about life, kids, marriage, etc... But I am thankful for the time I did have and those memories that will always be a part of my life. I am thankful for the few moments I had with her back in December, and the chance I had to tell her how much I loved her and how thankful I was for her and her impact on my life.

No comments: