Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Do you love well?

We have been talking a lot in our house about loving each other well. We are working with the kids to learn the greatest commandments. First, to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind and the second (which is equally important) to love your neighbor as yourself. Of course then we have the conversation about who our neighbors are: (Alex) "everyone we share the earth with" (Stephen) "those people around you".

I then will take it a step farther and get them to admit that their neighbors, include their brothers and parents. (They are good at loving their sister.) We are currently talking about the fact that we can say we love someone but if our actions don't match those words then we are not doing a good job of loving each other. If all we are doing is complaining and whining and fighting with each other we are not showing the love we say we have for one another. This is tough, because there have been many times when I have not treated my kids or husband well. But we also are talking about how apologizing is another way to say that we love someone.

These lessons with the kids are truly being driven from my passion to know the love of God and to be able to pass that on to others. Because of this passion I am praying about starting a women's Bible study based on the topic of love. I hope that whether this becomes a reality or not, that I will continue to strive to live in the love that God has for me and then share it with those around me, not just in my words but in my actions.

Do you love others well?

No comments: