Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Holidays...

I LOVE SUMMER. I love the warmth and even the humidity that comes with it. I love a good storm or simply rain when it is warm enough to walk in it. I love ice cream or a cold beer on a warm day. I love the length of the daylight with the sun filling most of my waking moments. It has always been my favorite season of the year. So it is interesting that this year, I am looking forward to cooler temperatures, enjoying the change of season and even anticipating winter.

I have been in church ministry for over 13 years. And when the calendar flips to November I have come to dread the weeks that follow. November (and most years even late October) and December are filled with preparation, extra events, and pressure. For many churches the Christmas season is when those occasional church goers will go to church. It's about tradition for many. In light of the potential guests much pressure is put on church staff to be prepared and to be "on call" during the season. Now, please know that I understand it. I get it. I participate in it. I prepare for it. I am available. But all of it has contributed to the essence of the season being "lost" for me personally.

This year though, it was like a flip of the switch, which interestingly coincided with the turning of the calendar to November. I have had moments each day this month (which yes, is only 4) where my heart is filled with an overwhelming sense of gratitude and awe. Even to the point of tears. And I am so very thankful for those moments.

The moments are a reminder that this season of the year is not one to be rushed through. It is not a season to say "I'm thankful for..." and move on. It is not one in which we are to frantically shop to give gifts and hurry to the next party or family gathering.

So what is this season really about...for me it is about being willing to sit. To listen. To give but also to receive. To not just receive but to appreciate not just the gift but more importantly the giver. It is about hope, joy and peace. It is about living in the moment and loving those I am with. It is about being still and knowing that He is God. God our ultimate provider. God with us. It is about saying thank you, not just with my words but with my life. It is about being filled with the Spirit of God and not the "spirit of the season", because HE is the reason we give thanks and celebrate during the next two months. And it is about not just recognizing these things for a few weeks but to be transformed by the hope, joy and peace of God every moment of the year, no matter what season we are in.

No comments: