Friday, June 10, 2011

WORDS

Empty words...have you ever walked away from a conversation and realized that you only allowed the other person about 5 words? Or talked with someone and after it was over realized that it really didn't have much substance? Or do you say you will follow up on something and then fail to do it? How many times have you said, "I'm praying for you" or "I will pray about that situation" and then you walk away and forget to do that?

The Bible tells us that out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.  It then goes on to say that we will have to give an account for every careless word we have spoken, that our words will either acquit us or condemn us. (Matthew 12:34, 36-37)  In James, we are cautioned regarding the potential our tongue has for great harm. (James 3:1-12)

I have had a few conversations in the past week where I have rambled on and on about nothing.  Or monopolized a conversation. As I was praying and studying James, I was reminded of the passage in Matthew.  What do those conversations say about what is filling my heart?  Have I said "bad" words or been mean or destructive with my language? No. But have my words been life giving and full of grace and salt? (Colossians 3:6) Not really, they have just been words.

So I am going to start journaling again. (I go in spurts.) I am going to write out my thoughts, evaluate my heart and ask God for guidance and wisdom to make the changes that are needed.  What about you?

Do your words give life or are they creating a path of destruction? What do your words say about the state of your heart?

No comments: