Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A thought...or two

We are not saved BY good works, we are saved FOR good works.

These words have been playing over and over in my mind since our pastor said them two weeks ago. We are currently as a church discussing "giving it all away". As Christ-followers we are called to go into the world and help the needy, the widow, the orphans. In fact a verse that stands out to me about this is James 1:27. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after the orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Jesus spoke about the poor and needy often and yet we as Americans find it hard to not become disillusioned and hardened to the needs of this world. If it's not right in front of me I tend to turn a blind eye. Another thing that our pastor has challenged us with is this: it doesn't matter how or why a person is poor and needy, we are just called to obey and offer them help and hope. I find myself all too often caught up with rationalizing why I shouldn't offer someone help because of their poor decisions, or sins, or whatever. I have been told to give food, water, clothes, etc...to the least of these in the name of Jesus. (PERIOD) Matthew 25:31-46

In the verse I quoted above I have always been struck by the last part. I can grasp the giving and helping of the needy, but how does that tie into keeping oneself from being polluted by the world? As we have been talking to our kids about giving Christmas away this year and how we can make a difference in someone else's life I am finding just how polluted we have become. We are so wealthy (and I do mean money). We have so many extras in our lives: cable, Internet, cell phones, multiple cars, and the list could go on. How many of those things do we really need? I mean REALLY need. None of them. We could make it work without all of those things and more. But we don't want to be uncomfortable. We may even think we deserve or are entitled to those things. I know I get caught thinking that.

What about you? If you "gave it all away" this Christmas what would it look like? What if instead of just "giving it all away" at Christmas you made a commitment to do something every month, week, day? How would your life change? More importantly how would the lives of others change?

I am sure I will post more on this topic over the next few weeks. Our family is committed to Christmas looking different at our house this year. And then moving into the new year, we want to continue to give back to God what He gave us in the first place. Stay tuned to see how Aaron and I are challenged and changed as well as the kids.

No comments: