Monday, January 31, 2011

Monday Mumblings

Well, this last week was filled with snow and basketball, as has become the norm. And a very special Thursday. Thursday was Stephen's 7th birthday. He is such a joy. (I will get back to him in a bit with his own post.)

Last week the boy's had off school for an in-service on Monday, then Tuesday they actually got a full day of school in. YEA!! Wednesday we were supposed to get a light dusting of snow in the morning and then a bigger storm later in the day. Well it snowed heavily and steadily for a number of hours which sent the kids home early on Wednesday. Thursday ended up being another snow day.

This last week was also supposed to hold 4 varsity girl's basketball games (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday). Considering the weather patterns we have had, 3 out of 4 isn't bad, and they were all wins.

Thursday was a laid back day since the kids had off school. I still had a few meetings and due to the kids having Monday and part of Wednesday off I needed to get some work done in the office. So the kids all came into the office with me. We took a break at lunch time and allowed Stephen to pick the fast food restaurant of his choice. He chose Burger King. We brought lunch back to the church and they watched a movie on the big screen in the chapel while eating. They all enjoyed it. I got some work done and so we then called it a day and went home. Since Aaron's game and the boy's practices were cancelled we were able to have Stephen's birthday meal (the food of his choosing) as a family, instead of in shifts. He chose sloppy joe's, mac-n-cheese, and corn.

Friday I sent the kids off to school for a full day, thank goodness. While they were at school, Aaron and I made a trip to the Harrisburg Airport to pick up Aaron's mom and dad. We enjoyed surprising Emma by hiding them in the coat room of her preschool. We sent her in to get her coat and backpack and her surprise was so fun to watch. She actually came to a complete stop and stared for a moment as she processed the fact that Grandma and Grandpa were standing there. Then the five of us headed out to lunch and to do some birthday gift shopping before the boys started to get home. Again, it was fun to "hide" Grandpa and Grandma. (They hid in the boy's beds.) We sent the boys to their rooms to put away their backpacks and coats.

In the midst of all the fun, Emma began to complain that her ear hurt. Since she has had a cold I figured all that junk was just moving around in there. By mid afternoon she was in tears over the pain. So a trip to the doctor was made (they got her in within 20 minutes of me calling). She has a double ear infection and is struggling with some wheezing in her chest. Thank goodness for medication.

We headed out for her prescriptions and then to Aaron's game. It was a down to the buzzer exciting game. The girl's won by one point. I stood for the entire game, I just couldn't sit. (Aaron says I still have too much "coach" in me.) After the game we picked up some pizza's and headed home.

Saturday brought games for Jack and Alex. They both played well. Then we had Stephen's birthday party. It was so fun to see our IN and PA families interacting and enjoying each other's company. We are so very blessed.

Sunday was a busy day at church. We then hung out at home and enjoyed each other's company a bit before heading to the airport for my in-laws return flight. It was a quick weekend trip for them, but we are all so thankful they did it. (And thankful they avoided the storm prior and the one coming.)

During the busyness of this week and the lack of routine that the weather has been causing, I did not get a chance to post on Friday. I am disappointed time did not allow this. God is teaching me and growing me and I look forward to sharing it with you. I decided to just skip last Friday and wait until this week.

In the midst of everything though I am truly thankful for the blessings in my life. For the safety that we have experienced (especially Aaron as he is on the road during the worst parts of the weather lately), for the gift of another year with our Stephen, for the gift of family near and far, for warmth, for the kindness of neighbors plowing our driveway, for too many things to mention. God is so good. I am so very thankful and humbled by his blessings!

No comments: