Monday, January 3, 2011

Monday Mumblings

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year...

Life was busy over the last two weeks. We celebrated Christmas and New Year's with family and friends in PA and IN. Lots of miles were traveled and lots of fun was had.

The week prior to Christmas involved basketball (of course), planning for the last Sunday of the year, and Christmas Eve choir preparations, of course culminating in the two Christmas Eve services at our church. The boys all sang in the choir and Emma decided after walking out onto the stage to bail. I had a feeling she wouldn't stay on the stage. :-)

The six of us celebrated Christmas with presents and a big breakfast capped off with birthday cake in honor of Jesus' birthday. The boys all helped to read the Christmas story from Luke and Matthew, while Emma helped recite our advent calendar.

We then spent some time with my Great-Aunt before getting my Grandpa and heading to my God-parents house for dinner with their family. Food and fun was had by all.

Then Sunday after teaching the preschoolers and elementary age children at church during both services the kids, my Grandpa and I headed out to Indiana. We made great time in spite of the wind that threatened to blow us off the road at times.

Monday was spent with the Maxson side of the family. It was great to spend time with my brother and his family as well as my sister and her's. We celebrated with our traditional Christmas meal and then on to exchanging gifts. It was fun to see my niece and nephew getting the knack of opening presents.

Tuesday we had breakfast and then said good-bye to Ben, Lacey and Kaitlyn as they headed home to OH. Then the kids and I ran a few errands. Emma's baby ornament is broken and the Hallmark store in Warsaw usually carries ornaments from years past. Of course I couldn't find ANY from 2006. UGH! Then we were on to the jewelers as Emma and I get charms for our charm bracelets each year. If we take the charm and bracelet into the store where the charms are purchased it is free to have them attached.

We then met my in-laws for lunch at McDonald's. We thought the plan may have backfired when we realized the play place was closed. Fortunately they opened it just as the kids were finishing their lunches. It gave us adults a few minutes to chat without interruptions. Then we headed to their house for presents. The kids all got a DSi. They were thrilled and quickly disappeared throughout the house to try them out. Emma impressed us all with her ability to quickly pick up the concepts of the games. After dinner and a few more rounds on the DSi we said goodbye and headed to my parents house to sleep and prepare for the trip back to PA.

Wednesday morning we packed up the car and left IN with my sister and her son to make the trip back. It took about 11 hours to get home but since we weren't in any hurry it was a good trip.

Friday we went to a birthday/New Year's party at my God-parents house. (It was my God-sister's birthday.) Joining us a bit later at the party were my parents, Laura's husband and Grandpa. We hung out and enjoyed each other's company, leaving their house a little after 11 pm. While everyone was in bed by the time the New Year came in, we knew it arrived by the fireworks going off.

Saturday was spent just laying low. We didn't do much which was kind of nice.

Sunday I colored my hair as my part in an offering challenge for the kids at church. (May post a picture on Wordless Wednesday. There really are no words for the color my hair was on Sunday morning.) The kids loved that I did it. It was really fun to watch adults expressions.

Sunday evening we spent with most of the family that is local as well as all the visiting family. It was again a great time to just gather and enjoy each other's company. Unfortunately we had to watch the clock as it was back to school and work this morning.

Lots has happened in the past two weeks and January is filled with basketball. Hopefully though Monday Mumblings won't be such a rambling post for quite some time. I'm tired just rehashing it all. :-) I will try to put together a post filled with pictures from our holidays.

As this New Year begins I pray that God will bless you and keep you. Have a great week one in 2011.

No comments: