Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Seek with your whole heart...

Over the past few weeks, our sermons at church have been focused in the book of Deuteronomy. I didn't realize that I had so many verses underlined in this book of the Bible until we started studying it. Needless to say I am realizing that I LOVE this Old Testament book.


One of the verses that has been "rolling around" in my mind (even prior to this sermon series) has been one that is seen in various places throughout scripture. The first time though that this concept is stated is in Deuteronomy 4:29, "But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul." There are many places in the Bible that we are given the promise that if we seek God with our whole heart, we will find Him.

I love this promise. But it comes with a stipulation: I must seek Him to find Him. So how does that look on a practical level? What does seeking Him with my whole heart really mean?

I love these verses just a few chapters later (I think they help to answer the questions above.). "...what does the LORD your God ask of you but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to observe the LORD's commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good?"

Seeking God means taking the time and energy needed to learn his commands so that I can obey. It means searching to find just exactly who He is so that I can fear Him with reverence and awe. Seeking God means loving Him. When we love someone it is reflected in our thoughts, words and actions. True love also gives priority to the object of one's affections. Seeking God also means that everything I do should be done as an act of service to Him. And if it's not going to bring Him glory, then it's not worth doing.

Seeking God requires me to surrender and sacrifice some of my own ideas thus putting myself in a place where He is my focus. It may not always be easy or pleasant, but as long as I am striving to be obedient, then He will be glorified and honored and I will find Him. Seeking God means less of me and more of Him. And on top of that, I know that He will reward those who seek Him (Hebrews 11:6). He always fulfills His promises.

1 comment:

Jen F. said...

Thank you for sharing, Heidi. Just what I needed to hear today... LESS of me, MORE of HIM!!!