Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A thought...or two

Over the past two weekends I have been helping teach the lessons in our Kindergarten/First Grade class at church. I am part of a group of cowgirls who are silly, but also act out a Bible story about Jesus. It is not the first time the four of us have done these skits. The curriculum is on a two year rotation, as well as the fact that we have used these stories for a traveling VBS. So needless to say we tend to have a bit of fun and the lessons are never quite the same.

Well my older boys remember when I did these skits a few years ago and now it is Stephen's turn in this class. It is so hard to not crack up when I look at him in the audience. He sits there with the biggest smile on his face. It must have made quite an impact because he was telling Laura about the skits.

Stephen: My mom was a cowgirl.
Laura: Was she the best cowgirl there?
Stephen: She was God.
Laura (with a little uncertainty): Really?!
Stephen: And the other cowgirls were blind.

To clarify, we act out Bible stories and my character plays Jesus in those skits. The lesson Stephen was referring to was about Jesus healing the blind men. The lesson was to teach that Jesus loves people and we need to love people too.

But as I have thought about the awe and excitement of "being God" it has struck me that when people encounter me/interact with me/talk with me they should be seeing God. I wish I could always be Jesus to those around me, unfortunately I often get in the way. It would be great if people I interact with would walk away saying "She was God".

What about you? Do people see God when they are with you? What would our lives look like if we all attempted to be God to the people around us: our families, neighbors, co-workers, acquaintances, etc...?

Are you in?

Maybe you will one day hear that someone said "They were God to me".

No comments: