Friday, July 17, 2009

Sermon continued...

OK so yesterday in my "thankful" post I got a little preachy. Well, here we go again.

Today I was reading in Titus 1. So I get to the last verse and it says,
"They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him."

1 John 1 and Titus 1 are both speaking to a duality that is often played out in our lives. We claim one thing but walk differently. As I was struck by the similarities of what I have been reading in two different environments, I was also struck by the fact that God often does that when He is trying to get my attention. My first reaction to God was to say, "God, I don't think I am doing anything that is "dark" or in denial of You." But then I began to think over the past few days. My love of others hasn't been the greatest. I have gotten frustrated and upset with people/issues and have vented in ways that I am quite positive did not bring God any glory or honor. The line between walking in Light and in darkness can so easily be crossed.

It is my greatest desire to walk in the Light, but I so often will give way to my human tendencies and in reality will be denying God by what I am doing or saying. the saddest part in this is that I tend to deny God by my actions with my kids. I will give into my anger and discipline out of my selfishness rather than out of my love for them.

What about you? Do your actions line up with what you claim with your mouth?

I believe that God loves me no matter how many times I mess up. I do believe though that His desire for me is to be in tune with the Holy Spirit and His Word so that my actions become more and more reflective of the Light. "For all have sinned...and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Jesus Christ." (Romans 3:23-24)

No comments: