Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Food for Thought Tuesday

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. John 3:16,17
I know that God loves me. But I have recently been struck by the fact that God's expression of His greatest love was a plan, that included suffering. Neither God nor Jesus were surprised by the fact that Jesus was tortured and killed on the cross. The fact that God loves me (and you) so much to plan Jesus' suffering for my benefit is overwhelming.
The love I share with others and offer to God, pales in comparison. I often withdraw my love in times that are hard and painful. When in fact maybe the pain has somehow been planned to help me deepen and show my love. What greater expression of love is there than to offer love even in the midst of pain? Isn't it then that our love is purest, because it is not based upon ourselves, it is truly focused on the person we are loving?

No comments: