Friday, March 11, 2011

Food for the Soul

(written Friday, posted Monday)

This morning as our nation woke up we were hearing of earthquakes and tsunami's, as well as the continuing unrest and war in Libya. And around our area of the nation we are dealing with flooding as well as a tragic house fire that killed 7 children. As I was praying for those who were living through the chaos in Japan and praying for those I know who live in Hawaii and California, my mind kept going to the passage in Luke 21 regarding the signs of the end of the age.


I felt a renewed sense of concern for those who are far from God. The time until the return of Christ is approaching. I know from scripture that even the disciples thought they lived in the end times, but if you have studied Biblical prophesies you can see more and more the fulfillment of God's Word. I know that no man is able to determine the time or day of Christ's return, but we can be sure that whether it is a few days or years or many years from now, it is coming.


On one hand this thought of Christ's return brings me great joy, excitement and fills me with anticipation. I get downright giddy and want to dance a bit when I think about the opportunity to see my Lord and Savior. On the other hand though it fills me with sadness and fear for those who are not ready to see God. There are many who I believe think that they will see God and when that day comes they will find that they really were not prepared, that they had not truly surrendered their heart, mind and soul to Him. And there are many others who have chosen to live without God, ignoring their deepest need for Him.


Luke 21 tells us that "Nation will rise up against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes, famines, and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven." (Verses 10 and 11) It was interesting to watch the reactions of people to these many events that are taking place. There was a panic in their voices, fear as they talked about reaching loved ones, and in the details there was awe of just how big some of these events are historically speaking. And yet, Jesus told his disciples just before those verse above, "Do not be frightened." (verse 9)


Later in the passage it speaks about more signs that will signal the end of times. It warns against the anxieties of this life (verse 34). Then it reminds us to always be on watch and to pray so that we can stand before the Son of Man. (verse 36)


There is a helpless feeling that can overwhelm us as we look at this hurting and broken world. Yes, we should reach out and offer support and help. But above all we should be sure to pray. And we should be making sure that those we have contact with are prepared for the approaching day "when every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord."

Are you ready? Are your family members ready? Are your friends ready? If so ,there should be a peace even in the midst of great panic and trouble, and there should be a sense of desperation to see that others know Christ. I know that I fail in this area, but am praying that in seeing this need once again, that I might be bolder in living and talking out my faith.

No comments: