Thursday, October 28, 2010

3-hour coffee break

Sometimes I need to be reminded just how amazing God is when it comes to the smallest of details in our lives.

Last week I met a woman at a networking meeting of Children's Ministry Directors. We talked for a short time and began to realize we were at similar places in life and ministry. We were able to connect after the meeting thru email and met today for coffee. We talked for 3 hours. It was one of the most encouraging and refreshing times I have had recently.

Personally our backgrounds are very similar. Currently our personal lives are similar as well. We have both been married for 11 years. Our children's ages are almost identical (3 out of 4 are the same). Due to the subject of our networking meeting, we found out our personalities are similar. And we tend to lead in a similar style.

And in ministry there are even more similarities. We are both newer in our positions, both churches have lost senior pastors recently, and we are dealing with the same ministry struggles.

This week I was looking at my list of things I need to do and projects that are ongoing or need to be started. I was feeling overwhelmed and beginning to allow discouragement to seep in. Then today, I got to talk and listen and connect with someone else who feels the same things I do; as a mom, as a wife, and as a director.

No projects were magically completed. Nothing got marked off the "to-do" list. In fact some things that needed to be completed got pushed back to later today or this weekend. But I feel energized, refreshed and ready to face those tasks and projects.

I love how God knows what our needs are and how to meet those needs for us, even if it is a three hour coffee break.

No comments: