Monday, August 16, 2010

An "all over the map" post

I have missed my husband and best friend. Ministry is hard and jumping into a new ministry without him by my side has been stretching to say the least. I have desperately missed my children. Talking to them on the phone is fine, but it's not like the daily interaction of being in the same home. And there is nothing comparable to their hugs and kisses.



I am thrilled with the opportunities I have been given to work in this ministry position. However to do it without my family has been difficult. Our family is very "family oriented" and so the last few weeks have been out of the norm for all of us. I think that we are all ready to find a new normal.



God has been reminding me in many ways that I am to keep my eyes fixed on Him. At times I do a better job of remembering this than at other times. There have been desperate moments when I have been driven towards Him and other times when my humanness has won out and I have sulked. The pain of being away from Aaron and the kids is OK, in fact if I wasn't feeling it then that would indicate a bigger issue. However, when I don't take that pain to God and ask Him to sustain me and give me peace I then begin to sulk and turn inward. It's OK to feel sad and discouraged. I even think that God has not been the least bit put out by my anger and frustration either. It is what I do with those emotions that can either draw me closer to God or become a sin issue.



I have run the gamut of emotions over the past few weeks. Even in my excitement and joy that my family is coming, I need to keep my eyes fixed on Christ. It is in that joy that I can praise God for His continued blessings.



I think that all too often we allow the excuse of "life happens" to dictate how we live our lives. Yes, our lives can get busy. We do get pulled in many different directions. The truth is that our lives should reflect the transforming work of God in our lives and then out of that transformation we live. When this becomes the way we operate and view life (God-perspective) then the happenings of life appear different. Our priorities may shift. We live outside of ourselves in ways that can't be explained in any other way than God working in and through us. When we truly fix our eyes on Christ, no matter the circumstances, no matter the feelings or emotions, the truth is that there is a peace that passes our human understanding and a love that is immeasurable consumes us and oozes out from us.



Are you in a place of "life just happens"? Do you want more? The truth is: there is more. Christ is the author and perfecter of our faith. He desires to transform your life and mine. I have wrestled the last few weeks with living a transformed life where my focus is solely on Him. I am a work in progress. I am so thankful that I have a God who will continue His work in me until it is complete.

No comments: