Friday, July 9, 2010

Eleven Years!!!! (Tomorrow)

Eleven years ago today I was decorating and doing last minute details for my wedding day (or at least watching my mother take care of those details). The dress had been picked up on Thursday, my nails had been done, it was down to decorating the church and the place of the reception and preparing for the rehearsal.


The details all seem a bit blurry today as I try to remember back to that day. But what is not blurry is the excitement I felt in the days and hours leading up to July 10, 1999. I was in love and was getting ready to marry my best friend, life doesn't get much better than that. Or so I thought...


We have lived in 1 apartment, 2 houses we have built or had built for us, and 1 very tiny rental house. We have 4 beautiful children. We have had many different jobs (too many to count). We have had losses and victories. And we are getting ready for the biggest adventure yet with our move to PA.


It is amazing that in some ways it seems like yesterday we were saying "I do" and yet at the same time it is hard to remember life without each other. We have been richly blessed. In a world where divorce is so common and marriage is often not held in very high regards, we know that hard work is necessary to making our relationship strong. We also work hard to cultivate our relationship with dates and getaways. Our marriage is typical though. We have our days where we can still say "I love you" but it's a bit harder to say "I like you." Communication is vital and while we don't always do it perfectly, it is something we committed ourselves to value early on. But the truth of the matter is that without God at the center of our marriage we would not have success. Ecclesiastes 4:12 says "A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." God is that third strand in our marriage. Even on bad days we know we will get through the issues because God is binding us together.


In the past 11 years I have never once questioned our marriage and our future. What a blessing that is. I know that no matter what the future holds, my marriage is secure and we will walk those paths together.


I am still excited and in love with my best friend. It really doesn't get much better than that!


Happy Anniversary Baby! I love you and I am forever yours!

No comments: