Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Olympic Lessons

At our house we are consumed by the Olympics. Especially Michael Phelps. He is an amazing athlete and it is a blast to watch him compete. God has given him a gift to swim.
Through my addiction to Facebook, I discovered that Michael is ADHD and his mom, also an educator, is a huge advocate for kids with ADHD. I too have a son with ADHD and sometimes I get so caught up in just trying to get him (and me) through the day that I fail to remember that he has a future and that God has gifted him in amazing ways.
Last night as I was watching Michael get 2 more gold medals I was struck with the accomplishment of a family not just a child with ADHD. They rode (or swam) through some big and troubling times and have come through those times with amazing love, commitment and successes.
Maybe someday I will have the chance to sit in the sidelines at some event (sporting or otherwise) and be the number one fan of my amazingly gifted child. God creates all of us uniquely and maybe what I see as a challenge today is a gift that will see fulfillment in the future. I guess we will just have to wait and see...

No comments: