Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Just a thought...

...if you choose to advertise your political, religious, or any other type of belief on your car, you should probably consider the way you drive. We've all been there...we see someone with a "Honk if you love Jesus" bumper sticker (or similar) and then we watch in horror as they do everything but "love Jesus" and His creation with their actions.

I was very frustrated yesterday with someone who was one of the rudest drivers I had seen in quite awhile (and I just drove 1200 miles in the past week on major highways). He disregarded every common courtesy of driving. On the back of his truck he had plastered his very strong political beliefs. And I do mean strong. There were bumper stickers that were rude and appalling in their stand for a political party. Honestly, the rudeness of the bumper stickers were enough to make me a bit opposed to the party in question. But the way the driver handled himself just led to me thinking very negatively about that political party.

Originally I was going to post something on Facebook about this gentlemen. But then as I thought about it I realized that if I am going to advertise that I am a Christ-follower, I need to be careful in my thoughts, words, and actions. You see I may not have a bumper sticker on me but I am advertising my God in what I say and do.

So why share this story here? Well, I hope that you will see from my experience an opportunity to evaluate yourself. Who are you advertising? Are people who are watching you being drawn to God or put off because of you?

Maybe having a bumper sticker or a sign of some kind on your car is a good reminder that you need to be aware of your actions as you represent God. But bumper sticker or not, we should all be aware that we are bearing fruit of who we represent. Do your actions and mine reflect God: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control? Or are our actions reflecting the opposite, which advertises ourselves?

No comments: