Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Come

Lately, I don't just feel tired, I feel weary. It's not just physical; it is mental, emotional, and even spiritual. Some of it is the result of having had a crazy schedule from January thru June and still feeling like I need to catch my breathe, all while looking toward a busy fall. Some of it is the result of living in a "keep busy" world. (Though thankfully to look at our calendar right now it's not that full.) And then some of it is the spiritual battle of ministry and the pressure that can create.

As I was talking to a friend the other day about just feeling so weary and that in truth it isn't always a bad weary, I realized I was actually complaining. This led to the knowledge that I need to address this issue and work to not complain. So I began to pray about my attitude.

The next day as I was watching my coffee brew, I was again talking to God about the weariness I felt at the beginning of my day and that I wasn't sure I could (or wanted to) make it through work. And then I very clearly heard Him speak to me...
"Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."  (Matthew 11:28)
"Come to me"

"I will give you rest"


Ah, the release and peace that we are given when we "come". But I was reminded in that moment that it starts with a choice of my own to come to Him. He won't take the burdens and supply the rest until I come.

I was reminded that Jesus took time to go to His Father to be refreshed and renewed. He often went off to pray and be away from the crowds. I believe He found rest in those times with His Father.

So I am working to make the choice to "come to Him" each time the weariness begins to affect my attitude. This means taking some quiet time, alone time with Him. Finding rest and quiet away from the busyness and crowds. This is rest for my soul, which in turn provides rest to my whole being.

Do you feel weary or burdened? Have you come to Jesus with it? The next verse says to "Take His yoke upon you and learn from Him."  You have to set down your "stuff" first. Let's work to lay down our busyness and pick up what matters to Him. I think it will give our souls a much needed rest.

No comments: