Monday, June 13, 2011

Some things drive me CRAZY!!!! (McDonald's edition)

Like when people win millions in a lawsuit that really is a result of their own behavior/choices. For instance, the lady who sued McDonald's over the fact that her coffee burned her leg when it spilled. Would she have sued if it was too cold?  I tend to prefer my coffee HOT. And I also tend to believe that at the point in which the coffee is placed into my possession it is then my responsibility and if it spills, it is most likely my own fault and even if the lid isn't quite on--HOT coffee is what I paid for. 

Recently there have been lawsuits and attempts to pass legislation regarding the character of Ronald McDonald and the toys in Happy Meals, stating that it is linked to unhealthy and obese children. HELLO?? Who buys the child the Happy Meal? The last time I checked my children don't go to McDonald's on their own. And as the parent isn't it my job to monitor what they are eating, being sure that the Happy Meal isn't their only source of food and nutrition? 

The latest event is the photo of a notice that African Americans would be charged an additional amount due to an increase in robberies. This photo was posted on Twitter and spread like wildfire. What blows my mind is how many people believed it.  McDonald's has had to do major damage control in an attempt to save face with the public.  REALLY?  Are we really that stupid that we believe every picture put out is real?

It drives me crazy that this is the world we live in. Lawsuits to make a quick buck. Lawsuits and attempts to pass legislation when we don't want to assume personal responsibility for ourselves or those we have been entrusted with caring for. And then our media frenzied belief in everything that is put out there.  Just because we see a picture we then have to believe that it's real. Aren't most pictures put out in the media doctored in some way?  Come on people!!!

Then I have to stop and wonder...what about me?! These things that drive me crazy, do I have any of these tendencies? Do I want others to take the fall? Do I place blame on others for my lack of responsibility? Do I fall for the lies perpetuated by the media, social or otherwise? 

What about you?

No comments: