Thursday, November 8, 2012

My one and only political rant...

For many the fact that the election is over brings a sigh of relief...the ability to watch TV without the many political ads blasting someone's character, policies, or twisting words and statistics (this happens on both sides of the isle); the freedom to once again answer the phone without the fear of listening to yet another recorded message; the hope that friends and family will tone down their Facebook posts and tweets. (Maybe even that posts on blogs would have nothing to do with politics...)

I voted. I chose the candidate that most closely aligned with what I believe is best for my family and this country. Did I agree with everything about that candidate? No. But as a citizen of this great nation, I exercised my right and freedom to vote for who I wanted. That is one of the great aspects of this country, we can choose. That may mean that I disagree with a friend, family member, co-worker, or any number of people but they have the same right that I do, so I really can't be mad at them. Right?

Yet, I have seen fear and hatred well up in many people. Sadly these same people say they are followers of Christ. I can't seem to understand it. We claim that we believe that God is still the King. And in another breathe rip apart our friends (remember if you are blasting people on Facebook, you chose to be friends with them) and enemies who voted differently from us.

If God is still King, then guess what?! He was not surprised at all by the results of this election. In fact I believe that it fulfills His sovereign will and plan. He appoints leaders and authorities and we are told to live in submission to those authorities.
Romans 13:1-2 "Everyone must submit themselves to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted and those who do so will bring judgement on themselves."
God plans and ways are far above ours. He calls us as His followers to love our enemies, love and pray for those who persecute us (again, this is happening on both sides of the isle). We need to consider that maybe the results of this election could possibly be a catalyst for His people who are called by His name to humble themselves and pray. It may be a call for the Church of Jesus Christ to actually act like the Church! God's eternal kingdom is coming and we need to be prepared for that day. In our preparation are we condemning those who think and act differently or are we considering their need for Jesus? Are we showing them love? Not the emotion of love but the person of Jesus who is Love.

I think we as adults can take a lesson from my six year old. Yesterday, she told me that in Chapel at school she prayed for President Obama, that he would make good choices. Instead of arguing and fighting, instead of living fearfully or in anger, let's pray. (Interestingly, my 12 year old son was also in that Chapel made the comment, "We didn't have a time of prayer for the President." My response: "Obviously she didn't need a designated time, she followed a prompting from God to pray.") Let's commit to putting ourselves in a place where we can hear the prompting of God over the noise of dissent. No matter what side of the isle you are on, let's pray for our country and it's leadership. And let's pray and commit to being the Light of Christ to this hurt and divided nation.

No comments: