Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Food for the Soul and Monday Mumblings (All a bit late)

I sat at my computer Thursday evening thinking that I should go ahead and type out my blog post for Friday, but then talked myself out it. Then it happened again on Sunday afternoon as I was thinking about Monday's post. Sometimes even the best of intentions can become derailed.

This last weekend was actually a rare one in our house. Other than the boys (Alex and Jack) basketball games on Saturday and Emma attending a birthday party, we had NOTHING officially scheduled on our calendar. While we added plenty to that schedule, it was a great weekend as a family.

Friday, I hurried to get the house cleaned (at least somewhat) and some laundry done so that I wouldn't have to worry about it later in the weekend. Friday afternoon since Aaron did not have basketball practice, we went grocery shopping and birthday gift shopping. We then enjoyed taco night and just relaxed together as a family. It was wonderful to sit and talk with my husband for an extended period of time.

Saturday was adventurous in getting everyone where they needed to be. Jack had basketball from 11-12, Emma had to be at a birthday party from 12-1:30 and Alex had basketball from 1-2. Thankfully we are a two van family. My god-parents attended Alex's game and from there took the kids for the afternoon and evening, so that Aaron and I could finally get our Christmas shopping started and hopefully completed. (We realized from the beginning that we were going to struggle with our goal as we had given all our good ideas to family.) We did manage to get most of our shopping done. I still need to get some stocking stuffers but for the most part we finished. YEA!

Sunday started with a crazy busy morning with Church (lots of crying babies this weekend). Then Sunday night we went out to dinner for a surprise birthday party for my god-sister's husband. It was lots of fun to be with family. Plus it was the first Chinese food we have had since we moved to PA. YEA!!!

It was a great weekend. This week is now filled to the brim with lots of things. Work, school, basketball practices, choir rehearsals, last minute shopping, and then of course the BIG day: Christmas!!! I am looking forward to the end of the week as it will bring with it lots of fun, love and family.

In the busyness of the past few weeks, the name given to Jesus at His birth has been where my focus has been drawn. Emmanuel. God with us. God is not just our Savior. He is not some distant being. He is not just Creator. Not only the Beginning and the End. He is with us. Day in and day out. Moment by moment. Good and bad.

I find such comfort in the name Emmanuel. I hope that you do too. As our family looks forward to Saturday-Christmas Day and gifts and fun, we are also excited for the reminder of Christ's birth. And with that reminder of His birth is the reminder that it did not end in a manger. He came to be with us.

No comments: